Do You Need a Lawyer for Your Child Custody Case?
My Blog

Do You Need a Lawyer for Your Child Custody Case?

One question people ask me is whether they need an attorney to represent them in their child custody and/or family law matter. Short answer...Nope! You do not need a lawyer to represent you.

In the United States and New Mexico specifically, you do not need a lawyer to represent you. You have a right to represent yourself in court. You can go to court, file pleadings, and argue your case. Many people do. I know this because they hire me to fix the mess.

Truth be told, many people have represented themselves in court and some folks have done pretty well for themselves. But the sad fact is most people don't fare so well. Despite the fact that various NM Supreme Court approved forms are available online, knowing how to fill out those forms can be very confusing. The district courts oftentimes host various family law clinics. However an hour seminar is not the same as years of experience in the court room.

Under New Mexico law judges are to treat people representing themselves called being a pro se litigant, the same as if these people were lawyers. That means the judges will hold a pro se litigant to the same standards as a professional attorney. In short, a pro se litigant will be expected to know the various court rules of evidence and procedure as well as proper decorum. The parent who represent themselves will be expected to understand the applicable law and must be able to draft legal paperwork.

But one of the biggest services you get when you hire a lawyer is a professional advocate who filters much of the emotional stress for you. Many people sabotage their case by being overly "emotional" in court. Typically the other parent or their lawyer strategically pushes your buttons helping to elevate an already explosive situation. Often judges view this against you! They think you are possibly unfit as a parent simply because you displayed feelings; feelings after being pushed to the edge in court. That's where a good family law or custody lawyer comes in. They shield you from much of this and tell your side of the story.

When you retain an attorney not only are you paying for someone to prepare and file paperwork, but an experienced professional who is not only familiar with the law, but just as importantly your lawyer must have rapport with the court and an ability to craft solutions creatively. Creative solutions without all the emotional baggage and hostility.

If you have questions please feel free to call.

15 Comments to Do You Need a Lawyer for Your Child Custody Case?:

Comments RSS
http://car-accident-claims.co.uk/ on Sunday, November 26, 2017 3:42 AM
Thanks for great offers

best term papers on Friday, January 05, 2018 8:38 AM
I personally like the trailer and it can be borrow on the you tube. I do not understand that why is YouTube banned in japan and china and it can be use by the proxy server but is it necessary to ban YouTube in that country.

affordable papers on Saturday, May 19, 2018 8:00 AM
I see it in every diabetes group I am in. It shows up in my emails frequently.

https://haoessays.wordpress.com/ on Monday, May 21, 2018 3:33 AM
在这个节日的频道中,你可以制作日记以记录你的乐趣。 只要来到这里,以更好的方式留下对你生活的正面评价。 这里无需您的帮助,享受更好的条件。

essay service review on Saturday, May 26, 2018 1:48 AM
If I am ever needing any type of assistance in this type of case I am having your number on priority. I was hoping to get this type of help because you are never aware with the current circumstances.

carbonlessformsco on Thursday, May 31, 2018 3:30 AM
Thanks for sharing the information. I found the information very useful. That’s a awesome story you posted. I will come back to scan some more.3 part Shop carbonless forms

Dwayne on Sunday, June 10, 2018 10:22 PM
Thank you very much sharing a very good post with very good information about a lawyer for Your child custody case. I am very happy to find this post. Carry on it.To get Garage Racking Click here http://rackinguk.uk/racking/garage-racking.html

Taylor Bishop on Thursday, June 21, 2018 5:55 AM
Thanks for explaining some reasons to have a child custody lawyer. it's good to know that they can help filter a lot of the emotional stress that comes with the case while also advocating you. This seems very helpful especially if it can help the both of you keep a level head throughout the case.

Steve John on Thursday, June 28, 2018 4:11 AM
In this this website, i have get to much knowledge of the couples issues law and solutions. I am very impress to see this post. You have done a great post. Rubber playground tiles from www.playgroundmats.co.uk

replica cartier watches on Saturday, July 14, 2018 12:04 PM
Thanks a bunch.

Buy Fake Watches on Monday, July 16, 2018 12:09 AM
We Have houses that are available now located in Guyton, Bloomingdale, and Brooklet.

Malachi on Saturday, July 28, 2018 2:43 PM
24 benefits of spinach just blew my mind..Awesome site!linkThis is really a room in your home specifically vulnerable to debris as well as deterioration tutorial arrives to your ex boyfriend in your athletic shoe, that may be regularly dull or whet, in particular through frigid weather solution you will absolutely sure it will accommodate with complete, decided on room designOne of my friends kept feeling that she was in the wrong field of studies therefore it was crucial that she changed.link Thanks for sharing.Discover Tspsc Results Latest News, Videos and Pictureson Tspsc Results and see most recent updates, news, data from NDTV.link

loemrntdherid1 on Sunday, August 05, 2018 7:58 PM
Nice review. Thank you for sharing this information. The information was very helpful and saved a lot of my time.i am very happy to be here.

Spencer Hodgson on Thursday, August 09, 2018 10:53 PM
Very well written article about child custody case.I like reading the content which you have posted.I expect more similar articles from you in future. non slip for decking made with quality material

Ryan Coleman on Friday, August 10, 2018 12:20 AM
Great to read article about child custody case. I must say you have done a great research before writing this post. rubber matting manufactured from best quality rubber