Who Gets to Keep the House?
My Blog

Who Gets to Keep the House?

People frequently ask me who gets to keep the house in a divorce case. Theoretically the marital home is community property and is legally shared by both parties. However in real life it really boils down to who can realistically afford to pay for the home. In my experience, most of the time neither party can afford to keep the house.

One of the major causes of divorce in the United States is financial stress. And New Mexico is not immune. No big revelations but stop and think if money is what is underlying much of your marital discord, how realistic is it for you to keep the home? How much equity is in the home? Are you able to refinance without your spouse? Can you maintain paying the current monthly mortgage? What if the monthly payment is increased?

If it turns out that neither you nor your soon-to-be ex can afford the home, then what? If you are both able to agree to the value of the home and work together to sell it, all the better! You will reduce your expenses and likely the overall costs of the divorce. If not, then things aren't going to go so well.

When couples cannot agree about the value of the home the Court must decide. Things get even more complicated when parties dispute whether the residence is community property or whether a percentage of its overall value is separate property. This happens when your down payment is perhaps a gift from Mom or from an inheritance. Other factors which come into play are improvements and how they were paid for and of course the market.

The best thing is to try and work much of these details out with your spouse prior to actual litigation. If you have additional questions, please contact me.

13 Comments to Who Gets to Keep the House?:

Comments RSS
custom essay on Thursday, February 09, 2017 3:28 AM
It makes me so happy your significant information and wisdom have a new channel for trying into the arena. i am hoping you will preserve this internet site up to date so customers can come and read exciting stories.

pay to have essay written on Tuesday, October 17, 2017 9:55 PM
Celebration makes persons young and stay blessed with simile on face. After every celebration we judge that time we spent is the best time to ever memory over whole life. As we think of that moment looks that we celebrate movement now and revise the past moments about laughing events.

Myassignment Service on Friday, April 07, 2017 3:01 AM
Equipment get significantly more complicated when gathering query whether the income understanding is group possessions or whether a rate of its universal regard.

product animation videos on Thursday, April 13, 2017 4:53 AM
Lots of poles apart things should go into the conclusion creation procedure when you are thoughts about observance the house.

PHP Assignment Help on Friday, July 06, 2018 12:33 AM
I Personally Like Your Post, You Have Shared Good Article. It Will Help Me In Great Deal.

Take my online Exam on Friday, July 06, 2018 2:52 AM
I Appreciate This Work Amazing Post For Us I Like It.

replica patek philippe watches on Saturday, July 14, 2018 3:35 PM
Most shops are not like that.

cheap Audemars Piguet watches sale on Monday, July 16, 2018 3:54 AM
Natural gender selection method is very effective.

Toby on Saturday, July 28, 2018 5:03 PM
I will try at the home to make this bread for my Hubby and hope so he will be happy too when will look it.Custom dissertation writing service gives you with amazing opportunity to writing papers and different instructional workslink On pae beacop de pogès, et pesqe tos nos fèes se aissent pende à cette aimabe i- sion, qi ne es empêche pas de coi- e, dans e même temps, sans soci de se contedie; qe depis a céation d monde tot va de ma en pis.I am a big fan your all information from a long time and i think this a kind of reward for me.linkI believe this is a great site, you are working great on the content and quality of this site at the same timeI definitely want to read more soon.link

loemrntdherid1 on Sunday, August 05, 2018 7:58 PM
It was very useful for me.

loemrntdherid1 on Sunday, August 05, 2018 8:06 PM
This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here!

Jaime on Monday, September 10, 2018 10:50 PM
This office mostly use for the judicial problem solve here. I am very impress to visit here in the blog review is very good. I really like to it for here. playground tiles for garden

loegmrntdherid1 on Sunday, November 11, 2018 11:16 PM
Excellently written article, if only all writtens offered the same level of content as you, the internet would be a much better place.