How to Find the Right Lawyer
My Blog

How to Find the Right Lawyer

For many people, finding an attorney is a mysterious thing. That's because the average person doesn't hire an attorney everyday. But sometimes in life challenges surprise us and we find ourselves in need of a legal professional. Some examples are drafting a will or contesting a probate, starting a business, estate planning, an arrest by the police, automobile accident, civil law suit, and divorce and child support issues. So when these events pop up and we know we need a lawyer, how do we find one?

If you have a friend, family member, or other trusted person such as a minister, priest, or therapist, perhaps they have had some similar experiences and can refer you to someone they trust. Often that is not the case and people then are forced to search through phone books, internet searches, and television commercials to find an attorney. So here are some tips to help.

Attorneys specialize and it’s important to find someone who handles
your type of case; criminal defense attorneys represent people accused of crimes such as a DWI. Estate planners draft wills, create trusts, and help you decide what happens to your stuff when you die. And when you are facing divorce, child custody matters and child support, you should look for an attorney that focuses his/her practice on these types of cases.

Keyword searches on Internet are a good way to find some candidates; avoid
referral sites and directories, you don’t need a middleman who gets a portion of the fees.

Check out their websites and choose three or four attorneys who handle
your type of case. But don't get too caught up on their website; don't be overly impressed with the flash, beeps, and whistles. You should get a feel for the attorney, their qualifications and background, as well as learn something about the law as it relates to your issue by their website. You should be able to get basic questions answered such as contact info, office location, potential fees and costs, as well as testimonials.

Call all of them and ask to speak to the attorney and not just an appointment setter or staff member. Once you get the lawyer on the line, ask questions such as how long practicing, what percentage of their practice is this type of matter etc.

Lastly go and meet with them, ask more about the case, about how they will work with you, accessibility, fees, etc.

Bottom line, you need to choose the person that best resonates with you. This person is going to speak on your behalf and represent you and your interests. If the attorney guarantees results, only talks about money, or seems too good to be true, you should probably find someone else.

That should get you started. If you have any questions, please contact me.

19 Comments to How to Find the Right Lawyer:

Comments RSS
M. Jack on Monday, January 19, 2015 5:49 AM
Immediately get bail bonds in Orlando with help from the team at Bail 2 GO. Our experience helping our clients get the bail bonds they need all across the state of Orlando will be an asset to you or your loved ones too this year.

Immigration Lawyer Dallas on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 12:54 AM
A very useful blogI like it this is the most useful way to provide help to in Immigration Lawyer.

Chris juaen on Friday, March 18, 2016 12:43 AM
Nice post.. Some independent sites provide attorney background information, a record of disciplinary actions, and details about fees. You might also find legal dictionaries, tips, and forums where visitors can post questions and get answers from legal experts. Along with this you can consult your near ones if they are aware about it.

fake watches on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 11:44 PM
So when these events pop up and we know we need a lawyer, how do we find one?

Gavin on Sunday, April 03, 2016 5:14 AM
That's very helpful discussion. Our experience offering our customers some assistance with getting the safeguard bonds they require the whole way across the condition of Orlando will be an advantage for you or your friends and family too this year. Thank you so much and those tips will help me to find a good Lawyer.

Sukhi Baidwan on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 12:14 AM
Great post with lots of valuable information. The lawyer you are considering must possess the skills of a litigator and negotiator. A good family lawyer needs to be sympathetic to you but will not always agree with you. You are not paying a lawyer to agree with you. You are paying a lawyer to give you their professional opinion and advice based on their experience and expertise.

Vivian Black on Monday, May 23, 2016 3:53 PM
I think it's good advice to use keyword searches on the internet to help find an attorney who specializes in what you're looking for. Finding an attorney is definitely a mysterious thing to me, and to many people I know, so these tips are really helpful. It makes sense that meeting in person will help you find a lawyer who is the right fit for you.

Ignacio bufkinn on Monday, August 22, 2016 4:31 AM
Hey Jay , Nice post!! I completely agree with you that if you are in need of a lawyer then you want to make sure you have good representation. The amount of money you will spend is worth the benefits, especially if you are facing criminal charges or fighting for a monetary award. If you open up the phone book or search online chances are you will find plenty of listings for lawyers that cover your area. Don't select one at random. We should make thorough research to select our criminal defense lawyer. Thanks for these helpful tips.

Kiyel Williams on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 10:29 AM
I really like what you said about avoiding directory sites when you are looking for a lawyer. I have a friend who is going through a custody battle and we think finding the right lawyer will make all the difference in his case. I will be sure to pass on this information to my friend. Thank you for sharing.
Reply to comment

http://www.janeprobstlaw.com/practice-areas/kenosha-family-law-attorney/ on Wednesday, October 05, 2016 1:38 PM
Mueller, I appreciate your writing to find the right lawyer. I will apply all these tips/suggestion to find a best Lawyer. I hope these information will works perfectly. Thank you so much and keep it up!

Ben Allen on Wednesday, December 07, 2016 8:34 AM
I appreciate the information on hiring a lawyer, I agree that hiring a lawyer can be a daunting task because it is not something that we do on a daily basis and it is sometimes hard to tell which lawyers are better for you. My mom is in need of a lawyer and she isn't sure who to hire, I will be sure to share this with her.

Jeff Evans on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 2:45 PM
Recently I have been struggling with a divorce and need to find a suitable attorney to help with the child custody. I am nervous I will be too limited on the amount of time I get to see my children and only want what is best for them. It's nice that a lawyer not only helps with the legal situation but is also able to give you unbias counseling to help you get through the situation. Thank you for the helpful tips, and I will do my best to follow these tips while I try to find a good lawyer.

www.passipatel.ca on Thursday, January 12, 2017 12:21 AM
You ought to figure out the lawyer, their capabilities and foundation, and additionally learn something about the law as it identifies with your issue by their site.

Jade Brunet on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 4:39 PM
It is good to know that asking questions is appropriate when it comes to finding a divorce attorney. It would be good to find out about their experience and if they have handled cases like yours before. My cousin recently went through a divorce and had a good experience with her lawyer because her phone calls were answered and her concerns were addressed.

Annika Larson on Friday, March 31, 2017 1:02 PM
I am currently struggling with some legal issues in our family. It is important that I find a lawyer with experience that I trust. As you said, finding an attorney that specializes in cases similar to yours is important as well. I'll be sure to do this. Thanks for sharing!

Family law kingwood on Tuesday, April 18, 2017 5:37 AM
You need to find a lawyer with whom you can feel comfortable. No matter how experienced your lawyer is if you don't feel comfortable with your lawyer then you need to change your lawyer. We need to discuss a lot of things with the lawyer which require a certain comfort level with the individual.

Jack Titchener on Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:06 AM
I like how you emphasize the importance of actually getting to know the attorney before hiring him. I think a lot of attorneys can easily fool others with flashy websites or catchphrases, but actually meeting them in person is a good way to judge whether they are the person for the job. Good job on the article!

bankruptcy attorney on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 12:19 AM
it's nice post about how to hire the Attorney and how they will help us. i thing, first you search the attorney online as there are many attorney listing site from where you can hire attorney with single click.

Scott on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:46 PM
It's interesting that you suggested checking with the lawyer themselves to see if they will be able to represent what you need. I have been going through a custody case and I think I need professional help. I can see how it would be good to meet with the lawyer first, so I can see if they are someone I can trust with personal information.